[Diy_efi] if YOU were bored enough to disassemble...

Brian Dessent brian at dessent.net
Fri Aug 23 23:17:53 GMT 2002

"Dave Gallant, 12 Point Racing" wrote:

> I am brainstorming on my next plan of attack on working through JUST what is
> going on inside my motorcycle ECU, and thought I would ask for opinions as I
> have as much EE in me as a lumberjack. My end goal is to be able to flow
> chart the entire code base within an EPROM on my particular ECU/EFI
> hardware, thus being able to edit it once complete. I am sure most of you
> have heard this before...

Well, as far as finding the maps, it seems that the best method is
visual.  Find some way (either hack together something or find a
program) to display the contents of the BIN file graphically, with
different colors, and the maps should be apparent.  I don't know
specifics, but if you put the BIN file on /pub/incoming I'm sure someone
would take a whack at it.

As far as source code... it's hard, that's for sure.  Are you looking at
pure disassembly (i.e. all numeric symbols) or have you assigned
variable names (i.e. VAR0001)?  Again, I don't know the specifics here
but there should be a disassembler out there that will assign human
readable variable names for branch locations and memory addresses, which
should make things a bit easier.  After that it seems it's a matter of
slowly working your way through it.  As far as determining what input is
being read, it seems like following traces on the board would get you
close.  If you could narrow it down to "coolant temp goes to pin 21"
then perhaps the datasheet would let you associate pin 21 with an io
address.

Brian