[Diy_efi] idle control strategy for SD systems w/o bypass

socrace at ameritech.net socrace at ameritech.net
Tue Aug 27 14:17:36 GMT 2002

    There's another method that I've been using for awhile that stabilizes
idle rpm pretty well with or without an air motor.
    The method can be simply stated as follows: as idle rpm drops, richen
the mixture in direct proportion to the rpm drop. As rpm rises, lean the
mixture by the same rule.
    This works because an idling motor is (usually) pulling air at Mach 1
through the throttle system. This means that air mass entering the manifold
per unit of time cannot change, so the mixture changes with rpm.
    I believe this is the main reason that an idling engine will stall so
easily with a sudden load change, as the rpm drops it just runs leaner and
leaner.
    I used this method to stabilize the idle on my Edelbrock Pro-Flo, a
typical heat soak "blower roll" idler.
Bob D