[Diy_efi] Intro, and q's about fuel economy

Perry Harrington pedward at apsoft.com
Mon Dec 16 01:48:06 GMT 2002

> Heated fuel lines and the like are an interesting idea, and one I hadn't
> yet encountered, but are too complicated at this stage, I think.  The most
> important thing is that it _works_, reliably, at the competition.  We'd
> rather build a well designed, simple system than an overly complex one.

You could heat the fuel by wrapping tubing around the cylinder, creating a
cooling effect for the engine and preheating your fuel.

> Next year... well, that's another matter.  :-)
>
> To give you an idea of the platform, see
>
> http://smv.berkeley.edu/SMV_2002/31.html

Hmm, so are non-Berkeley students allowed to help with the design and fabrication?

> It's somewhat crude (at least to someone who grew up with a full-size
> dodge pickup ;-), but most of all cramped.  Our success has come from the
> chassis and the shell being aerodynamic, but the tradeoff is that there
> isn't much real estate available.  And only short people get to drive it.
> :-)

I'd say the B&S is rather crude when you are considering low fuel consumption.
We're talking about 250cc motors making 5HP with a F-Head design.  I'd expect
a weedeater or chainsaw engine would be a better approach.

> -james

--Perry

--
Perry Harrington			Data Acquisition & Instrumentation, Inc
perry at dainst dot com					 http://www.dainst.com/

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty or safety. Nor, are they likely to end up with either.
                             -- Benjamin Franklin