[Diy_efi] Time delay relay?

Mike erazmus at iinet.net.au
Tue Dec 24 07:59:04 GMT 2002

At 11:43 PM 23/12/2002 -0800, you wrote:
>When you say coil, do you mean the coils of the relay?

yes - unless there are other coils, latching relay perhaps,

>Basically, here's what I'd like to do as simply as possible:
>
>I have a input on my ECU which runs through a NC switch, to ground. When the
>switch opens, I'd like the input on the ECU to continue to see ground for
about
>300-400ms after the switch opens.

Well if your input to the ECU is high(ish) impedance with a possible
pullup which I'd expect since its looking for a ground, you dont need
a relay - just a capcitor to ground, have you got a oscilloscope
or a multimeter with fast reading scale ?

All you do is put a cap between the input and ground and your same
switch to ground (ie In parallel with cap), when the switch opens
the cap charges up gradually through the pullup on the ECU, so
try a 10uF cap first 16V and measure across it with a multimeter
and see what happens, a 10uF cap over costs about 20c

What is the input precisely used for -  on the ECU ?

rgds

mike