[Diy_efi] RE: Timing and dyno pulls

efi student efi.student at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 25 03:12:02 GMT 2002

Depends on whether it is venting?  If it isn't venting, then why do I =
see a
difference in the reservoir level between hot and cold on every single =
car
and bike I have worked on?  Seems a bit ludicrous to imply the system
doesn't pressurize to the cap pressure, or why system designers are so =
damn
picky about where you put the cap in the system so that it isn't
artificially affected by pressure from the water pump.  Or even more =
simply,
coolant is relatively incompressible.  Coolant expands when heated.  =
Unless
there is air in the system, the cap must be the limiting factor for =
system
volume because the coolant MUST expand when the engine starts =
transferring
heat, that means the level in the coolant reservoir goes up, but not =
until
the cap pressure is exceeded.

Let's press on with cooling system fundamentals.  I've seen the radiator =
for
an engine producing 1000 hp all day long.  It's a lot bigger than I am, =
and
I'm 6'2".  What vehicle is capable of supporting a radiator that size?  =
None
that I have seen, except one of those Terex dump trucks, but they're
electro-motive so it's apples and oranges there.  I have yet to see a
production vehicle, car or bike, that had a cooling system capable of
sustaining full throttle for more than a minute without being =
overwhelmed.
Sure, it's a design decision that all engineers have to make, how big =
can I
afford to make this radiator, but the point is they all insist that =
higher
system pressure gives better heat transfer both from engine to coolant =
and
coolant to heat exchanger.  You're saying they're not getting it, that
cooling system pressure only applies if you are exceeding design =
pressure?
Maybe I don't understand what you are saying, but all the evidence I =
have
both researched and experienced indicates that higher system pressures =
give
better heat transfer.  NASCAR claims they like it because they can =
reduce
the size of the radiator and therefore improve aerodynamics.  Are you =
saying
this is incorrect?

Oh, I do understand that an engine at idle is pretty unlikely to exceed
design pressure unless the water pump is turning so slowly that the =
coolant
is boiling in the heads.  Completely different world at WOT.

Lance