Advice requested for choosing aftermarket EFI system

Bruce nacelp at bright.net
Mon Jan 7 21:58:03 GMT 2002

From: "Robert" <robert_hiebert at sunshine.net>
> Thanks for your input. I'm not knowledgeable enough to hack a stock ECM,

Some have been already done

>and
> my experience with piggy backing ( EEC Tuner ) has been less than perfect.

Wouldn't that be an indicator of what some of the aftermarket stuff is?.

> As I see it, unless you have absolute and complete knowledge of how the
OEM
> system works and how all the tags interact, there is always a danger that
> there will be a communications failure or some other unforeseen problem.

Any you think some aftermarket firms are more aware of that then the likes
of GM?.   Gonna carry a spare ecm just in case?.  Who do you think the
aftermarkets copy?.

> At
> least with a stand alone aftermarket system, assuming that it is a good
> system, you are in total control.

Key word *assuming*.
The aftermarkets are distilled mins., can be good for a straight out race
car, can be a PITA for a street car.
Bruce