Toyota Sequioa / Tundra top speed

Mos mos at sydney.net
Wed Jan 16 03:13:29 GMT 2002

If it's anything like other toyota efi vehicles, then there is a vehicle
speed sensor which can in some circumstances be disconnected without any
adverse effects.

Generally engines equipped with electronically controlled transmissions
(auto) need the speed sensor input to change gears properly. The auto
boxes have two other speed sensors as backup, but problems have been
reported when the main speed sensor was not hooked up (like not getting
out of first gear). I don't know enough about the details of their
installation, nor have I done enough testing to work out what exactly is
the minimum requirement for correct operation in such cases.

Other effects include the engine diagnostics registering an error code
with no perceivable change in operation.

Some engines will happily operate and not register error codes with the
sensor removed.

You can use a flip flop to halve the number of pulses to keep the ECU
happy, but effects on an EC(T) auto box are unknown (to me).

Mos.