Throttle-by-Wire

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Sun Jan 20 01:40:24 GMT 2002

Greg Hermann tapped away at the keyboard with:

> >> TBW holds a lot of promise, but leave it to the OEMs, DIYers
> >> are not qualified, not even to retrofit an OEM device.

> >That's an awfully bold statement to be making, especially
> >considering you don't know the qualifications of said DIY'ers.

> TBW is indeed a tricky thing to do right. Thing is--I would
> _seriously_ question the qualifications of the OEM's to be doing
> it right long before I would question the qualification of _some_
> of the folks here !!

It would appear that some of the OEM implementers have never
actually driven a car. e.g. some VW TDI (so it's not really
throttle, but it illustrates the problem) will reduce engine torque
to idle if the brake and accelerator are pressed simultaneously.
Well, boggle me pink, but isn't that precisely what you do when you
heel-and-toe for downchanges into a tricky bend/corner to avoid
breaking traction?

> Greg (PID= Proportional, Integral, Differential, or would you
> rather work with Fourier or La Place transforms?)

OEM's skirt that issue by being "fuzzy", without truly being so!

--
 /"\  Bernd Felsche - Innovative Reckoning, Perth, Western Australia
 \ /      ASCII ribbon campaign | I'm a .signature virus!       |