DIY WB questions

Bruce nacelp at bright.net
Thu Jan 24 21:53:40 GMT 2002

From: "cypress" <cypress at telia.com>
Subject: DIY WB questions
> Just received the DIY WB cards (USA fabricated) and they're looking good.
> It will be used to tune a 4-cyl 1.8 liter engine running at 1.4 bar
(22psi) boost using a MegaSquirt as additional injector controller.
> I'm planning to check the lamda values before increasing the boost (and
making quite a lot of other changes too) with the DIY WB and then try to
stay at those values, or a little richer, after the tuning. I'm aiming for
250-280 HP.
> I have some newbie questions though. Some might have been answered before
but I .an't find them and for us newbies it's good with some repetition.
> So..
> * Is there any need for calibration ?

Nope.

> * What kind of accuracy can be expected, I know it's not a lab-grade meter
but some ballpark figures would be great.

They generally read the same as most commericals.
The whole thing is rememberiing you never to to get an AFR.  You use it as a
tool to monitor your tuning and results.

> * How sensitive is it with regards to placement (exhaust temp) ?

Unless your running 1800dF EGTs not a problem.

and where is the best place to put it ?

A meter or so downstream of the Turbo is fine.  Be sure that condensation
won't accumulate in it.

My current (narrowband) sensor is placed approx. 1.5 meters after the turbo,
is this to far ?.

No.

> And of course thanks to all who contributed to this.
Nice to hear..
Bruce