Problem with testing WB (heater circuit)

Brian Renegar thomas.renegar at nist.gov
Mon Jan 28 19:37:52 GMT 2002

Started testing my WB circuit yesterday, and have run into a
problem.  First a run down of the specs....

US PCB
Parts kit from Steve
Power source from battery on running car (13.50V)

The problem is, the sensor heats up and appears to be working, but the LED
never comes on.  I have been monitoring VOut, and it never deviates from
2.50V.  The current to the sensor started at about 1.33A.  Reading through
resistors to R4, one by one.  Eventually I got the current up to about
1.5A, which I thought was more than adequate to properly heat it.  However,
within a minute of connecting the power, the current slowly goes down to
about 1.23A.  Is this supposed to happen?  I'm afraid to add any more
resistors.  I don't want the current to go too high on initial turn-on.

Can someone please give me some ideas as to what's going on?  I don't know
where to begin testing.  BTW, I built two boards, and they are both
exhibiting the same behavior.

Thanks,
Brian