Building a Flow bench, motor speed:flow

Greg Hermann bearbvd at mindspring.com
Tue Jan 29 07:57:42 GMT 2002

To do effective work at 25 or 28 inches of water pressure (the two head
flow testing "standards"), you are going to need a regenerative pressure
blower rather than a fan to do it. These are available, used in industry
for stuff like aerating the "liquid" in sewage treatment plants. Siemens
and Gast are two outfits who make this type of blower, but there are plenty
or others out there besides them. A web search on "pressure blower" would
turn 'em up.

To put it into plain language--you are NOT going to make this kind of
static pressure at such a low (!!!)  flow rate with a simple fan on any
kind of a practical basis. With a fan wheel of any practical size, and at
any practical fan rpm, you would put the fan into aerodynamic "stall"
_LONG_ before getting up to that level of static pressure !!!! If you want
to do your testing at a non-standard pressure--say 5 or 6 inches of H2O,
then that's another story, but you would also be talking much smaller flow
numbers and a big drop in accuracy.

To do 600 cfm at 33" water column or so (allowed for some loss in the
ducting and flow measurement orifice here), it will take about a 5 HP,
maybe even a 7.5 HP motor to drive the thing. (Already corrected for blower
efficiency here, regen blowers and pumps are NOT known for being terribly
efficient critters.)

You probably want to have an assortment of flow measuring orifices (say 6
or so, different sizes) so that you can do accurate testing down at lower
flow rates (thus staying in the useful part of the "range" of the
differential pressure sensor used for flow measurement).

Variable speed drive is a wonderful way to go, much better than a
restrictor orifice, but also more $$$. Emerson makes some variable AC
drives that would do the job right and less $$$ than most.

Again, more $$$, but static pressure sensors are available. My approach
would be to control the speed based on the TEST delta P, and use a separate
delta P measurement (across a known, fixed orifice upstream of the test) to
measure the flow rate. You are also going to need decent temperature,
humidity, and absolute pressure instrumentation if you want to get anything
resembling repeatable test results. Mamec Sensors (Minn., USA) makes all
the sensor type stuff you would need to do it right, and for reasonable
$$$.

Greg