Propane vs diesel

Greg Hermann bearbvd at mindspring.com
Tue Jan 29 07:57:59 GMT 2002

At 2:18 PM 1/28/02, William Shurvinton wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Following a recent trip to the states have decided that I have to get a
>bigger vehicle for when we head off with the kids. Within the restrictions
>set by the distaff it would appear that a day van would avoid divorce. These
>are fairly plentiful in the UK, if a tad expensive for a nice one. Anyway,
>then there is engine choice, turbo diesel or gas guzzler.
>
>Here in UK diesel is now $4.10/USG, petrol slightly less. Propane is
>$2.16ish. So assuming the oil burner will return around 20MPG and an SBC
>around 12 (we cruise faster than 55) would it make sense to look for a small
>block with propane conversion, or is the diesel still a better bet.

I suspect that you would find the propane/spark engine would do more like 9
or 10 if the same engine would do 12 on petrol.

And is
>forced induction suitable for the venerable 5.7l push rod for a high torque
>app.

NO !! (Thinking you mean high sustained loading as well as high torque!) If
you were able to find a TRUCK 327 SBC, OK. (Bigger water jackets, thicker
casting sections, etc.)

I think the conclusion would be that diesel would be better, all around.

Unless, of course, you're stark raving nuts (like me) and could find (not
likely in Britain) an IHC 345 or 392 V-8, all set up for propane (from a
dead school bus) , and then just add the hair dryers to it. Of course, one
of these would put about 300 more lbs. on your motor mounts than an SBC
would, but the sustained high loads would NOT be an issue !! These engines
went into trucks with GVWR's on up to 40 K lbs. Sodium filled exhaust
valves, hard valve seats, etc. , are standard.

>NB funds are such that whatever I buy is likely to need an engine
>rebuilt/replacement opening the way for all sorts of options, hence the
>question. I need a V8 in my life and I'm not allowed the 75Trans AM with
>397ci I was offered on saturday.

Try taking a peek at some of the propane injection toys (power boosters)
which Gale Banks and others are coming up with for turbo diesels---

What ballpark of GVW are you talking about ???

Greg