Propane vs diesel

bill.shurvinton at nokia.com bill.shurvinton at nokia.com
Tue Jan 29 18:48:43 GMT 2002

-----Original Message-----
From: ext Greg Hermann [mailto:bearbvd at mindspring.com]

>Here in UK diesel is now $4.10/USG, petrol slightly less. Propane is
>$2.16ish. So assuming the oil burner will return around 20MPG and an SBC
>around 12 (we cruise faster than 55) would it make sense to look for a small
>block with propane conversion, or is the diesel still a better bet.

>>I suspect that you would find the propane/spark engine would do more like 9
>>or 10 if the same engine would do 12 on petrol.

Possibly, no real experience of this.

And is
>forced induction suitable for the venerable 5.7l push rod for a high torque
>app.

>NO !! (Thinking you mean high sustained loading as well as high torque!) If
>you were able to find a TRUCK 327 SBC, OK. (Bigger water jackets, thicker
>casting sections, etc.)

By truck do you mean 3/4 ton pick-up or 40ft load lugger? (truck in UK means 7ton and up).

>>I think the conclusion would be that diesel would be better, all around.

>>Unless, of course, you're stark raving nuts.

Nuts.

>>Try taking a peek at some of the propane injection toys (power boosters)
>>which Gale Banks and others are coming up with for turbo diesels---

>>What ballpark of GVW are you talking about ???

Dunno, that's where the research is needed. Given that 27ft is the largest you can go in most RV parks in Europe, you probably need to tow a shed. I'll take a look at what's around

Bill