[Diy_efi] Ion Sensing project

Ville Vartiovaara vvartiov at cc.hut.fi
Thu Jul 4 14:19:48 GMT 2002

> Seems like most of this is self defeating.
> You want a long duration spark to get the reaction, as complete as possible.
> Sacrificng spark for detonation detection just doesn't seem like the best
> solution, to me.
> The reason for CDIs is because you run out of dwell time for a proper spark
> with a auto transformer.   If you're not running a v8 at over 6K RPM there
> is no NEED for CDI.   You can do better ignition wise with DIS or CNP.

As far as I remember, the CDI is being discussed here only to get some
voltage level to compare to. :) Wheter it is CDI or not is not a problem
as long as the spark is done until TDC.. Shouldn't be a problem. ;)
And CDI has shorter decay time than a plain coil, so..

And why shouldn't ion sensing be used to detect misfire and launch an
additional spark in such a case..?

The problem with CDI is usually the ringing on the HV side after the
spark, which may corrupt the ion sensing process.. But this is just a
misfeature of the cap and coil and bad design..