[Diy_efi] diff. bet regular and automotive standard wires?

Ne14RoxCJ at aol.com Ne14RoxCJ at aol.com
Fri Jul 26 15:25:59 GMT 2002

--part1_99.2a058c8c.2a72c254_boundary

I wire corp. jets in my spare time (the home projects are my full time job).
Aircraft Wiring Practices (read: FAA 4130) state that terminations should be
either crimped or soldered, but never both. Our crimp type butt splices are
sealed with a heat-shrink sleve, but ring terminals are just higher quality
auto type. The only time we use heat shrink is on un-insulated ring terminals
to prevent acring. We use mostly PTFE insulated wire throughout the aircraft.
Some high temp/stress locations (engine nacels, wheel wells) require a
fiberglass braided insulation and nickle plated copper strands. AC wire
cannot have fewer that 19 strands. Waytek Wire and Del-City have a good
selection of quality wire if you want to buy in bulk. Waytek only sells to
businesses, I think. That is what keeps those jets in the air, FWIW.

Beau

--part1_99.2a058c8c.2a72c254_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>I wire corp. jets in my spare time (the home projects are my full time job). Aircraft Wiring Practices (read: FAA 4130) state that terminations should be either crimped or soldered, but never both. Our crimp type butt splices are sealed with a heat-shrink sleve, but ring terminals are just higher quality auto type. The only time we use heat shrink is on un-insulated ring terminals to prevent acring. We use mostly PTFE insulated wire throughout the aircraft. Some high temp/stress locations (engine nacels, wheel wells) require a fiberglass braided insulation and nickle plated copper strands. AC wire cannot have fewer that 19 strands. Waytek Wire and Del-City have a good selection of quality wire if you want to buy in bulk. Waytek only sells to businesses, I think. That is what keeps those jets in the air, FWIW.
<BR>
<BR>Beau</FONT></HTML>

--part1_99.2a058c8c.2a72c254_boundary--