[Diy_efi] diff. bet regular and automotive standard wires?

Ne14RoxCJ at aol.com Ne14RoxCJ at aol.com
Fri Jul 26 17:46:45 GMT 2002

--part1_162.114a32e6.2a72e26d_boundary

The AC I work on are brand new and I have never personally had any experience
with AC that have been in service for any significant amount of time.
Therefore, I cannot say how they hold up to corrosion, although, the only
time I have "heard" of it being a problem is on fighter jets out at sea
(hence, salt water). I'll try to find out more info on their preventative
practices when I go to work today. The sea water would be very similar to the
salted roads up north (where I assume you are). Here in Arkansas, we dont
have much problem with corrosion.

On our AC, the wire harnesses consist of mostly white wires stamped with
either destinations (to and from) or wire codes (look it up in the prints)
every 6-8". Don't know if you have ever looked at an AC in detail, but the
wiring can be quite overwhelming. I personally like the automotive approach
better. Colored/striped wires are much easier to follow. As for the ring
terminals, we rarely use them in dirty areas that are subject to corrosion.
Bonding straps are one exception I can think of (ie. an un-insulated braid
from the AC skin to the landing gear door.) All parts of the AC must be
bonded to prevent static build-up. In this case, the ring terminals are
attached to bolts and then covered with a sealant. I would think that in a
new install on an automotive application, you could do basically the same
thing with a glob of RTV. Just make sure all surfaces are clean. For your
engine/ECM grounds, you might try to find a place that gets very little salt
spray, and even then, coat them with a bit of RTV or grease. Hope that is
helpful and I'll ask the ex-service guys at work for more hints.

Beau

--part1_162.114a32e6.2a72e26d_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>The AC I work on are brand new and I have never personally had any experience with AC that have been in service for any significant amount of time. Therefore, I cannot say how they hold up to corrosion, although, the only time I have "heard" of it being a problem is on fighter jets out at sea (hence, salt water). I'll try to find out more info on their preventative practices when I go to work today. The sea water would be very similar to the salted roads up north (where I assume you are). Here in Arkansas, we dont have much problem with corrosion.
<BR>
<BR>On our AC, the wire harnesses consist of mostly white wires stamped with either destinations (to and from) or wire codes (look it up in the prints) every 6-8". Don't know if you have ever looked at an AC in detail, but the wiring can be quite overwhelming. I personally like the automotive approach better. Colored/striped wires are much easier to follow. As for the ring terminals, we rarely use them in dirty areas that are subject to corrosion. Bonding straps are one exception I can think of (ie. an un-insulated braid from the AC skin to the landing gear door.) All parts of the AC must be bonded to prevent static build-up. In this case, the ring terminals are attached to bolts and then covered with a sealant. I would think that in a new install on an automotive application, you could do basically the same thing with a glob of RTV. Just make sure all surfaces are clean. For your engine/ECM grounds, you might try to find a place that gets very little salt spray, and even then, coat them with a bit of RTV or grease. Hope that is helpful and I'll ask the ex-service guys at work for more hints.
<BR>
<BR>Beau</FONT></HTML>

--part1_162.114a32e6.2a72e26d_boundary--