[Diy_efi] Spark Plug readings

Brian Renegar thomas.renegar at nist.gov
Tue Jul 30 13:02:19 GMT 2002

>I've read a lot of good things from racers who have used TDC products.  They
>are one of the more popular suppliers, and their kits come in stages
>rather than
>"here you are".

Before Incon was defunct, they had stages as well.  The most popular was
the 800tti kit (which is what I have).  But they also made some "600HP"
kits with smaller sized turbos, and also "1100 HP" kits with larger turbos.

>I'm just saying that from experience the ford computer doesn't.  I've got 24lb
>injectors and a 75mm race bullet with a specific calibration curve, and it
>still
>isn't correct.  I don't do any CID fudging.

Well something is not correct in your tune then.  It IS possible to set it
up right so that commanded AFR is equal to actual AFR.

>Part of the problem is that the
>Ford computer code is derived from the SD code.  They convert mass into SD for
>calculating fuel, from what I've heard.  Otherwise you wouldn't have the
>tables
>laid out the way they are, you'd have MAF vs RPM = fuel with the other scalars
>applied after.

That could be.  But what do you think all of the DFI units out there
use??  Speed Density.

>The problem isn't the EEC, it's the people who make product for the EEC.  They
>make a lot of money by NOT telling you information.  I hate the whole EEC
>scene
>because of that.  If the GM guys can share information AND schematics, why
>can't
>the EEC guys?  The guys at diablosport are about as up front as I've seen.  I
>have even given thought to being a dealer because of their technology and
>their
>philosophy.  I've got an EEC-Tuner and Autologic chip.  The politics tied up
>in those two products is just absolutely f**king rediculous.  And the others
>are just as embroiled (yes, even tweecer, more so).

I have to disagree.  There is an enormous amount of information out
there.  You just have to search for it.  These mail groups are great
sources of tuning knowledge as well.  I'm not sure why you would need to
know the exact inner workings of every component.  These people ARE trying
to make a living selling their product you know.  It's not surprising that
they don't tell you everything about their hardware, or how to interface it
with the EEC.  As long as you understand the strategies used, and how to
tune the car, that's all you need.  Unless you are trying to sell a product
as well.

Brian