[Diy_efi] sequential injection timing

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Wed Jul 31 01:33:41 GMT 2002

Eric Fahlgren tapped away at the keyboard with:
> I wonder if the Audi guys with their direct injection are
> bypassing atomization, and just vaporizing fuel in the chamber
> (shoot it on something hot)?  This would result in the good

Fuel is atomised by the high pressure.

> burn/high HP numbers and lowered BSFC, and could be accomplished
> if they time injection after the intake valve is closed.  At the
> very least, they get good shear at the huge pressures they run
> (something like 23kpsi at the rail).

Audi says that the high pressure fuel pump delivers 100 bar (10 MPa)
in its production engines. Could well have been higher (maybe
double) in the Le Mans vehicles.

http://bernd.felsche.org/tech/EFI/A4-FSI.jpg
is an illustration of the high-pressure fuel delivery system.
The high-pressure fuel pump is shown on the right of the diagram.