[Diy_efi] sequential injection timing

Greg Hermann bearbvd at mindspring.com
Wed Jul 31 01:40:39 GMT 2002

And from
>what I have seen of a lot of some turbo installations, they f* up a lot,
>especially in regard to design. One other thing, I've talked to people that
>are/have been engineers in CART, F1, and ALMS. At that level you would
>think poeple would not commit basic f* ups, however it is more prevalent
>than you might care to think.

Three classics, two from F 1, on from the good old days of open Can-Am :

1. Repco Brabham--used the engine /transaxle assembly as a stressed chassis
element. Sub frame which BOLTED to the rear of the transaxle provided the
rear pivot points for the rear suspension arms. Terrible quality ally
casting for the transaxle,  no inserts in the casting (cast-in or
Heli-coil), and the dummys used BOLTS, not studs, and NO dowels !! Yep, we
fixed 'em.

2. Direct quote from Keith Duckworth while staring at the Maser 3 liter
twelve with THREE plugs per hole heads: "If they can't get the fool thing
to light the fire with two, what bloody good do they expect the third one
to do??!!??"

3. Tony Alphabet, over dinner after a tough day at practice, drags out a
busted BBC piston: "Can't understand why we keep losing the motors this
way!" --- Tony, the ring grooves were cut with a square cornered tool, and
some dummy enlarged the fly cuts for the valve clearance reliefs to such an
extent that there MIGHT have been .030" of material left between the corner
of the intake valve relief and the inside top corner of the top ring groove
!

Greg (they all pull their pants on one leg at a time!) (Alphabet =
Adamowicz (sp??))