[Diy_efi] Use O2 sensor on motorcycle?

bcroe at juno.com bcroe at juno.com
Wed Jun 5 01:35:47 GMT 2002

That 14.4V is probably the fully charged voltage.  If you put a
heavy load on it (one hour discharge rate) it will start to drop
almost immediately.  However, adding one or 2 cells from a
second battery might indeed keep the voltage high enough
to run most of an hour.  Don't go overboard on cell count, or
you'll burn up the heater regulator (plenty of heat sink is a
good idea).  Using a pair of identical batteries in parallel
will likely help a lot.

We used to switch in an extra "end" cell when the voltage
dropped off in the 'phone business.

If you are ready to add components, let me suggest
another approach.  Are we talking a rectified but unregulated
output capable of providing around 40 watts at 14V to
headlight/tail light?  First check the polarity of the power
very carefully.  Put about a 10,000 ufd capacitor across
the power and see what kind of voltage you get with the
lights on.  Observe + to + carfully on the power to caps if
you don't want them to explode.  If you are getting 12-15
volts with the lights on, you should have plenty of power
for a DIY-WB with the lights off.  If the voltage goes up
quite a bit, you'll need a good WB heat sink, or maybe a
pre regulator, and don't leave the lights on long.  If you
can't find the caps, I have some around here.

Bruce Roe