[Diy_efi] Use O2 sensor on motorcycle?

Brian Dessent brian at dessent.net
Thu Jun 6 17:57:45 GMT 2002

bcroe at juno.com wrote:

> An SCR is great for charging a battery from the AC line
> (esp if you use a fero-resonant transformer).  With a
> 1 amp load, power dissipated wouldn't be much over a

I haven't really been following this thread closely, but if the issue is
finding a regulator where input and output voltages are very close ("low
dropout") then I suggest Maxim or National's lines.  I bet you could
find a suitable regulator with an extremely low dropout voltage
(hundreds of mV) if we're talking about an amp or two.

The state of the art in switching regulators has also advanced, to the
point where I bet you could find a stock drop-in part or some very
easy-to-design components.  I think National even has a program ("Simple
Switcher") where you enter the desired line and load regulation
requirements (and current draw) and it spits out a schematic with a list
of part #s.  These switch-mode regulators can almost perform magic --
Vout > Vin, Vout = -Vin, Vout < Vin, etc -- all with very little power
dissipation.  At this power level (a few amperes) you have a LOT of easy
designs available.  (The cell phone/laptop/portable device industry, and
advances in cheap power mosfets, has really propelled the whole field of
power electronics in the last handful of years or so.)

If proper regulation is the issue at hand, it really shouldn't be hard
to find a solution.

Brian