[Diy_efi] Ignition Pickup

Perry Harrington pedward at apsoft.com
Fri Jun 7 09:38:30 GMT 2002

They don't want people making megasquirt controllers and passing them off.

You can copy the ignition circuit without problem.

It's derived in some fashion from an Autometer tach interface IIRC.

It seems to work fine with buffered ignition outputs from ignition modules
and boxes.

If you connect to a points or directly to the coil, there are some additional
items you may want.

They are referred to as the "Wing Diode", "John Zener", and "Ed capacitor".

It's important that you don't ground the LED to the board when you design
the circuit.  If you use a kettering style ignition (hooked up to the coil
directly), the inductive kickback can cause noise problems.  It's best
to bring the ground out on a twisted pair to the coil and ground near the
coil, this will also ensure that you get the full 7kv isolation the 4N25
has to offer.

You can search the Yahoo group archives for more info on the above mentioned
modifications.  There is also a schematic and additional info in the files
section of the group.

--Perry

On Fri, Jun 07, 2002 at 10:16:28AM +0100, marko.cosic wrote:
> > It's free, you can do whatever you want with it (aside from profitting
> > commercially behind their backs).
> >
> > --Perry
>
> 'twas what I thought. Trouble is there's potential to make a dozen, maybe
> fifty, of these halvers at a up to a fiver profit on each one. I'm guessing
> thats not really 'commercial' and it'll be okay but thought I'd better ask
> first. :)

Perry Harrington			Data Acquisition & Instrumentation, Inc
perry at dainst dot com					 http://www.dainst.com/

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty or safety. Nor, are they likely to end up with either.
                             -- Benjamin Franklin