[Diy_efi] Freq change (was Ignition Pickup)

bcroe at juno.com bcroe at juno.com
Fri Jun 7 20:15:13 GMT 2002

The circuits at these sites are rather elementary and needn't
be considered intelectual property.  They might be found on
a computer board, but a considerable amount of signal
conditioning would be needed for them to work in an auto
environment.

The doubler produces a pulse each time the input signal
reverses, assuming its a clean digital pulse.  However the
output pulse is so narrow it would never trigger anything
like a tach.  An RC network (possibly followed with a
hysteresis gate like HC14) added in the buffered input to
the output gate can be used to stretch the pulse to a fixed
number of millseconds instead of nanoseconds.  Some
analog methods could produce a pulse with around
50% duty cycle over a wide frequency range, instead of
a fixed pulse width.

If I was halving a frequency, I generally would like the
output pulse to be the same duty cycle, twice as wide.
All you need for that is the flip flop.

Bruce Roe