[Diy_efi] crank trigger

Henning Baldersheim balder at captech.no
Sat Jun 8 06:07:56 GMT 2002

Hi

I am looking into modernizing my 4.5L Mercedes Benz engine witch is
equipped with the first generation electronic fuel injection system, the
D-Jetronic. That is an analog system from the mid sixties. I have been
looking around at different systems, but have found no bolt on. I also want
to control the ignition and get rid of the distributor. Now I have the
engine out of the car and I would like to install the sensors needed before
putting it back.

The major obstacle I am facing now are how to trigger the system. I have
been thinking of three approaches.

1 - Lock out advance/retard in distributor. Install a tooth wheel and a
hall effect sensor in it.
	Pro: Easy to install and only affects a small part.
	Con: Will get low resolution -> can not have too may teeth in there.
Mechanical inaccuracy because it goes through timing chain + 2 gears. Are
there any commercial triggers for this ?

2 - Putting in a crank trigger. I have seen a lot of references to a 60-2
teeth wheel used. My harmonic balancer  is about 8.4 inches wide. Where can
I get a suitable tooth wheel and hall sensor ?
	Pro: Probably the best solution. Combined with a cam trigger you should
get what you want.
	Con: Harder to install if I can not find a wheel that will fit directly.
Will still need a cam trigger sequential FI.
3 - Use the ring gear and install a hall trigger there for teeth counting.
Will need a cam trigger too since you can not take away any teeth from the
ring gear.
	Pro: Should be very exact. There are quite a lot of teeth on the ring gear.

If there are any ideas, thoughts out there, I would be very glad to hear
them. Pointers to other places of information would also be very helpful.
Other solutions are also welcome.

Henning