[Diy_efi] injector placement

William Shurvinton shurvinton at orange.net
Sat Jun 22 00:28:20 GMT 2002

Hi John,

'perceived wisdom' is that port injection is best for economy when using
readily available stuff. Direct injection is better, but you run into other
issues. I've looked at a couple (but only a couple) of bikes with EFI and
the OEM location seems pretty good. If you want more power at 8-10K RPM then
moving the injectors further out can help, although I know someone with a
car engine who fitted them and peak HP was not effected, but the power band
was nicely flattened. He doesn't know why, but is very happy with the
performance increase.

Carbs can produce really good atomisation but (and I am very willing to be
shown wrong here) I haven't seen one that produces more power AND better
economy from the same setup. I know the bike racing community are very fond
of ditching EFI and fitting slide throttle carbs, which is great for me, as
those bike TBs are really good for the sort of EFI I play with, but I
suspect there reasons are more due to  the facts that there are very few
bike friendly programmable ECUs out there and that they understand the
carbs.

With batch EFI the fuel isn't puddling but vapourises quite nicely on the
hot valve whilst waiting to be slurped in. Not perfect, but works.

Bill