[Diy_efi] coolant temperature mod

Bobby Riggs bobbyriggs at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 24 02:22:12 GMT 2002

Update:  Apparently my logic is a little fuzzy :)
 Some people on a list I'm on said they have
noticed cylinder head temps go down as advance
goes up in highway driving.  In other words: If
you are too retarded (the engine) it will get
hot, starting the spark sooner (advancing it)
will cause the flame/combustion/explosion to be
done with sooner, therefore It has a little time
to cool before being slammed out the exhaust
port. Too advanced at idle is a bad thing for
startup.  But advance at > 2K RPM is really good
for highway cruise temps/economy. BTW: I work on
Aircooled motors so its ABSOLUTELY nessesary for
the CHT to stay LOW.

Best thing to do is get a VDO CHT gauge and put
the sensor under the hottest spark plug for your
motor(#3 for me), tune and tweak watch the CHT to
see what it does for you!

--- Tom Cheung <tcheung at associated-labels.com>