[Diy_efi] Intercooled question

elcamino73 elcamino73 at mindspring.com
Tue Jun 25 03:46:11 GMT 2002

Thanks for the response Brian.

Maybe if I give you some details you might make things clearer (easier) for
me to understand.
I want to inject freon into an intercooler to bring air which will be at
approximately 120 degrees down (F) to 40 degrees(F). The max pressure is 15
psi, the max cfm is 1500. The freon will be pre-pressurized in a 5 to 10
pound container which will be recovered when off boost. I would be happy to
be able to do this for thirty seconds but 60 seconds would be preferable. I
have found out that 1 pound of freon will absorb 70 btu's . I have also
found out that the specific heat of air is .24 btu per pound. You state that
the air weighs 70.4 grams per cubic foot. Converting that to lbs would give
me .155 lbs. What math would I then use to find out how much freon is needed
to cool that much mass of air?
Are there any other variables I have not considered which would have an
impact on what I'm doing?

Thanks again!

Bill