[Diy_efi] tiny injection

Brian Dessent brian at dessent.net
Tue Jun 25 07:32:47 GMT 2002

Santi Udomkesmalee wrote:

> I think making a turbo would be quite hard since I don't think turbines that
> small are easy to come by.  But this makes me want to design and build a
> small belt driven supercharger.  Does anyone out there have any experience
> fabricating superchargers.  Anybody want to point me to some books?  Is
> there any way to make a super charger without having to cut extremely
> complex compressor wheels or blades (I unfortunatly don't have access to a 6
> axis cnc machine)

In MacInnes' book _Turbochargers_ in the section on motorcycle turbos
there is a picture of a Warner-Ishi RHB3, and the caption says it's
suited for engines down to 0.5L.  It's pictured next to a roll of film
for size comparison, and the compressor housing isn't much bigger than
the film (the wastegate actuator is almost as big as the whole
housing.)  This book is almost 20 years old, so I wouldn't be surprised
if some manufacturer now offers a smaller model.  It's worth a shot to
look at the catalogs or call the manufacturers.  I would sure not want
to try to fabricate such a thing myself, the metallurgy and precision
both seem pretty advanced.

Brian