[Diy_efi] RE: More A/C trivia

Shirley, Mark R MarkRShirley at eaton.com
Thu Jun 27 12:47:35 GMT 2002

Message: 9
From: "Programmer" <nwester at eidnet.org>
To: <Diy_efi at diy-efi.org>
Subject: Re: [Diy_efi] RE: Intercooled question (now AC advocacy)
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 12:51:27 -0600

Quit dabbling and get serious with it  ; )
Get certified...look into what the EPA says,
get into what the industry uses--not what some
salesman is trying to sell you. The only reason I had
to buy a $2500 refrigerant ID machine is because
of this AIDs virus of A/C systems...

BTW--putting NOS in the rollbar is a very cool (no pun intended) idea...

Lyndon

I am certified!  (in more than one way.. :) )  But seriously, I don't
take everything our government says without doing a little investigative
work.  I've learned over my life that nearly everybody out there has an
agenda, the EPA no less so.  Did you know that in the early days of looking
for alternatives for R12, that Dupont came up with a new refridgerant that
was
miscible in mineral oil, MP52 If I remember right, was an exact drop in
replacement,
etc.  The EPA/SNAP killed it.  At the time, at least one of the people on
the
approval board was the CEO of Four Seasons Air Conditioning parts, INC.  The
reason
they killed it, was they wanted something that required parts replacement
(IE MONEY)
to come out of consumers' hands.  So Dupont comes up with R134A, which isn't
carried
by mineral oil, and it needs PAG/POE oil to survive, which is broken down by
free
Chlorine atoms in hoses used in R12 previously... Hmmmm.  The EPA/SNAP jump
on it
immediately, and suddenly, this is what all the OEM's are going to.  For
YEARS, there
were no SNAP approved alternatives to R12, you had to do R134A, and usually
had to change
a bunch of components to get it to live any length of time.  Now they have
an oil
that will drop in an R12 system, and carry in R134A, but it took a few
years.  Sales
of new componentry dropped off, and Voila!  A bunch of alternatives get
approved quickly.
I didn't get this from some posting off the internet, or some salesman
trying to sell
me snake oil.  I got this from the inventor of one of the alternatives,
talking to me
engineer to engineer.  He was heavily involved in getting his alternatve
approved, and
told me they stonewalled him for years then suddenly it was ok, after pretty
much the
entire industry was entrenched in R134.  You can believe what you want, but
if it looks
like a duck, and walks like a duck.....

Oh incidentally, did you know that PAG oil commonly used by the OEMS in new
AC systems is
incredibly hydroscopic, much more so than common Suniso 5GS mineral oil.
Moisture builds
up over time as you know, unless you have a very very good dessicant, and
creates acid
which will eat holes in your evaporator.  So now you have a compound that
depletes the ozone
a little less than R12, requires an oil change and flush, the system must be
extremely well
vacuumed out, and doesn't cool quite as well as R12 did.  Yah, that's a good
one.... and the
industry uses it because they are lemmings, doing what they need to to
survive.
I'll stick with my blend thank you very much.

Mark
(who sweats a lot and wants his AC to be REALLY REALLY cold)