[Diy_efi] Which ECM?

elcamino73 elcamino73 at mindspring.com
Sat Jun 29 10:27:00 GMT 2002

Blown 407
ElCamino

A real good friend of mine had a maroon IROC of the same year, nice cars.
He had the strangest thing happen to it.
It occasionally overheated and sporadically ran hot for three years.
When it did overheat we were stumped as to what the problem was.
After changing the cap, relays, coolant sensor, water pump, hoses and
 whole bunch of tinkering we decided to replace the radiator. Which already
had been
replaced after a hit to the front of the car (in the winter time). What we
pulled out
was a 2 row brass/copper unit. What the supplier had given us was a 1 row
aluminum. After talking with
 them about the difference we found out they were the supplier for the first
replacement.
Upon further interrogation they admitted they had problems with using the
larger brass/copper units
and had switched to the smaller OE aluminum style. Not a single problem with
heat build up again!
Maybe the adds about aluminum rads aren't bullshit!

My main project is a  1989 IROC-Z 5.7L auto, my BABY!