[Diy_efi] "reading" a turbo (as you might read plugs"

Brian Dessent brian at dessent.net
Thu May 2 11:15:33 GMT 2002

Jeroen Cats wrote:

> On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 12:07:28AM -0700, Brian Dessent wrote:
> > I recently rebuilt my turbo (with a kit from Turbo City) and it had
>
> How do you rebuilt a turbo yourself?
> I thought the trick about turbo rebuilding vans the 100.000 rpm balancing?

Maybe rebuild is not the correct word, I dunno.  The kit comes with new
bearings and oil control seals for the turbine and compressor, and some
other misc parts.  The "rebuild" consists of taking everything apart,
cleaning thoroughly, and reassembling using the new parts.  They are
very clear that the turbo must be in okay shape in order for the kit to
be useful -- if any part of the rotating assembly has come in contact
with the housing, it won't work.  So you index the shaft before
disassembly and align it to the index marks when you reassemble,
maintaining the balance.  If you mess up and accidently bend one of the
blades, or discover that a blade was already bent, you're supposed to
return the unopened kit and get credit towards a new/reman unit from
them.

I will say, they state "no special tools required" and that is a blatant
lie.  The retaining rings that locate the bearings were made from very
stiff spring steel and were deep inside the center section (about 0.5"
ID), yet the holes in them for retaining ring pliers were about 0.030.
I tried and failed to even find a retaining ring tool with tips small
enough to fit in the holes, so I had to be creative.  I did not want to
jack them around either, for fear of scratching up the walls.  That, and
removing the turbine housing from the center section was a major
headache.  It's a pretty close fit to begin with, and with
rust/corrosion it was soild.  After penetrating gunk, heat, and some
tapping did nothing, I improvised a puller-like setup and finally got it
free.  But the instructions only said "remove these bolts and clamps,
then remove the turbine housing."  HAH!

Brian