[Diy_efi] Point of fuel injection

TVS toby at kmvs.freeserve.co.uk
Thu May 9 18:38:50 GMT 2002

I know this was a recent topic and therefor probably in the archives
somewhere but I would be grateful for a brief summary. Assuming one runner
and throttle per cylinder, I'm sure I read somewhere than injecting fuel
towards the end of the runner was better for maximum power. I would have
also thought that this would provide excellent atomisation at part throttle
as the mixture passed the throttle plate. The only down side I can think of
is the possibility of wet flow in the manifold, as with a carburettor, but
this seems reasonably unlikely due to the far smaller fuel droplets from an
injector. This also means the fuel supply pressure no longer has to related
to manifold pressure and, in my opinion, simplifying something is never a
bad idea.

However, there must be something in injected fuel onto the back of the
inject valve(s) as this is the way its nearly always done! But in my
application, the ports in the head are too long and curved to be able to
easily do this and the engine only has to pass a 'visual' emissions test!
Many thanks indeed, Toby