[Diy_efi] Combustion chamber question

Phil rjp at teknology.net
Sun May 12 03:19:47 GMT 2002

The ability of these motorcycle engines to produce such excellent power on
relatively poor fuel, while having high compression...without a det.
condition, is obtained by more of a function of engine mechanical dynamics
of how they are constructed. All aluminum alloy, constant flow cooling
systems, (some) near perfectly straight intake tract path and a very short
stroke length which decreases piston TDC dwell time. (reduction in torque)

All of the above reasons, (especially the latter two) will promote high HP
numbers, but the engine falls short on torque output. (i.e. typical, high
strung motorcycle engine) In addition, have you ever taken the airbox off of
the carbs and peered down the venturies, on say...an inline four? Most of
the time you can see the face of the valves with ease....through the
butterflies....... (big HP promoter)

This is quit an oversimplification, but I think you can get the

-Phil