[Diy_efi] Combustion chamber question

JMSMAUTOMOTIVE at cs.com JMSMAUTOMOTIVE at cs.com
Sun May 12 03:52:55 GMT 2002

You have asked a good question, however the answer is not  a simple one! 12:1
compression (static) on pump gas is impressive, factor in the dynamic
copression ratio (almost certanly the volumetric eff. of said motor is over
100%, so at high rpm's the compressoin ratio is even more)and it is even more
impressive. a hemi head is a good head for flow, especially when its a two
vale head compared to a two valve wedge head, the valves unshroud themselves
as they open. however, the old (chrysler) hemi head was not optimal for
controling pre-ignition.one reason (among others) is a little thing we call
quench, basically a flat area(s) of the combustion chamber that, when the
piston aproaches tdc, literally squirts the air fuel miture caught between it
and the corrasponding flat top of the piston into the center of the
combustion chamber at high veocity and creats all kids of swirl/turbulance
etc. this controlls pre-ignition in several ways, it helps to cool, or
controll any hot spots, it also makes it more difficult for an unwanted flame
front to propagate due to the high rate of sqirl/turbulance. the quench
measurement is generally ~.040 clearance between the head and piston. they
can do other things to controll pre-ignition such as cool the head before the
block,when chevy "reverse cooled" should read "properly cooled" the small
block and fitted it w/aluminunm heads(better heat transfer) they had no
trouble geting 10:1(more is surelt possible with proper machining and a
cooler t-stat, stock is 195degr.) the honda 600 head (i dont know exactly the
layout)is most likely a pent roof design, kind of a shallow hemi head with
flat sides for quench. some engine designers are able to controll
pre-ignition with nothing more than a high swirl port(s). i am by no means an
expert, and i could have miss stated some things, like i said there is a lot
more to it, but we build 10:1 compression engines here every day with no
trouble(we are at 4600 ft). and the most we have done was a 383sbc. that had
11.5:1. these are real measured ratios, we cc'ed the chambers etc. and set
the quench to the right spec and the motors love it. joe