[Diy_efi] : tuned port manifolds

Andris Skulte skulte at skulte.com
Tue May 14 03:22:36 GMT 2002

> 	We used "Design of Machinery" by Robert L. Norton in the
> mechanisms class I
> just finished up taking.  It has a quite complete chapter on cam design in
> general, and even though there is little said on implementation
> to engines,
> it is still required material to design a proper cam.  For the
> class I wrote
> up a rather lengthy Matlab program that will let me design a cam
> to meet any
> position, velocity, acceleration, or jerk requirements.

Prof. Norton gave an SME seminar on Cam Design in Boston last fall, and let
us play with the software. He just released a new book on *just* cam design
(mostly for mechanisms again, but still valuable). It's been on my desk for
a few months, and I still haven't cracked it open! I think I'll take a look
tomorrow :)

> and I haven't been able to come up with much.  Right now I am working on
> modeling the flow through the header using the differential equations
> Heywood presents in "Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals" but solving
> the DEs explicitly, even using MAPLE, proved to be very difficult.

A book that was very heavy in math & theory (I know enough math to let me do
what I want, and usually prefer to let a computer crank it out...) is
written by Gordon Blair - 4 Stroke Engine Simulation, or something similar.
I ran into him at SAE, but he basically blew off my non-phd questions and
told me to buy the book. It does have some great info.

Andris, book & tool junkie
Z28tt - 89 IROC T56 DFI Twin Turbo