[Diy_efi] engine bay bulkhead connectors & color coded wires

Andris Skulte skulte at skulte.com
Wed May 15 16:09:04 GMT 2002

Folks,
 I've just redesigned the entire engine management wiring for the Z28tt,
and will be mounting the ignition and ECM inside the cabin on a plate
attached to the dash/firewall with Dzus fasteners. This plate will
connect to the "car" by plugging into the firewall. The engine will have a
similar setup, where it plugs into the car as well. Is anyone aware of
rugged bulkhead connectors that can be plugged into both sides? I'd like
to have a retaining ring similar to the Amphenol plugs. It would be 10 to
30 wires (I'm flexible) with 14 - 22 gauge wires (flexible again). Newark
has some very expensive Amphenol connectors. Is there a better (less
expensive) solution that would work? ScottP suggested getting the bulkhead
connectors from a late model GM car, but I don't think those are able to
be plugged into the cabin side.

The other question is what wire should I use? This is for all of the
engines wiring, from fuel injectors to MAP signal, etc. Something that is
heat resistant would be necessary, since the turbos tend to bake the
engine bay. I'd like to use different color coding (stripes & solids) to
help ID the harness when repairs are necessary in the future). I couldn't
find any specific info in the archives. Thanks for the assistance!

BTW - If anyone is going to the TransAm races at Mosport this weekend or
LimeRock next weekend, stop by and say hi at the GroupA Racing/K&N
trailer.  I'm the tall thin dude that will be ID'd when buying beer until
I'm 35!

Andris Skulte
Z28tt-89 IROC T56 DFI Twin Turbo