[Diy_efi] "Wet" Manifold Questions

Jurgen Hartwig jhartwig at midsouth.rr.com
Wed May 15 18:19:18 GMT 2002

> > At these low boost levels, IMHO, intercoolers
> > are a waste of effort.
>
> ? What effort? You buy it and plumb it and then forget
> it. Sure at lower boost turbo outlet temps will not be
> as far above ambient as with higher boost levels, but
> heat is always a result of compression, and if there is
> technology availible to help eliminate it- which has no
> moving parts and requires almost no maintenance why not
> use it?

True, but one reason perhaps to bypass an intercooler is due to the internal
restriction.  If you are running 6-7 psi of boost and the intercooler robs
1-2psi, that would hurt, wouldn't it?  Maybe you can run only water
injection???  I have wondered that myself.  I am working on a turbocharger
install, and I've considered only running water injection.  Projected boost
levels are 7-10 psi max.  That is about all the Aerocharger turbo can
handle.  The only negative to water injection seems to be reliability and
the risk of running the tank dry.  My air-cooled engine sure could use the
engine cooling effect of water injection.

Regards,
jay