[Diy_efi] "Wet" Manifold Questions

Kenny W watson at iamfun.com
Wed May 15 18:49:52 GMT 2002

The below is the exact same scenario I used, so
obviously I agree wholeheartedly with all Stephen said.
The omission of intercooling is not an option for any
serious forced induction engine. I'm in the process of
turboing a 2.3L four with 10:1 compression and it will
certainly have both intercooling and waterinjection.
10psi will equate to about 270hp in my case,so i don't
know it I'll be able to run that kind of boost- but the
priniples will hold true regardless.
-Kenny

Quoting Stephen Andersen <SAndersen at advan-tek.com>:
> Now, take advantage of the intercooler by
> bumping compressor
> outlet pressure up to 10psi so that you still
> have 8 psi in
> the manifold, and you are talking about a VERY
> significant
> increase in horsepower (10+ %), while STILL
> maintaining LOWER
> inlet air temperatures and less tendency to
> detonate...
>
> Steve
>
> > True, but one reason perhaps to bypass an
> intercooler is due
> > to the internal
> > restriction.  If you are running 6-7 psi of
> boost and the
> > intercooler robs
> > 1-2psi, that would hurt, wouldn't it?  Maybe
> you can run only water
> > injection???  I have wondered that myself.  I
> am working on a
> > turbocharger
> > install, and I've considered only running
> water injection.
> > Projected boost
> > levels are 7-10 psi max.  That is about all
> the Aerocharger turbo can
> > handle.  The only negative to water injection
> seems to be
> > reliability and
> > the risk of running the tank dry.  My
> air-cooled engine sure
> > could use the
> > engine cooling effect of water injection.
> >
> > Regards,
> > jay

-Kenny
AKA Captain Bondo