[Diy_efi] "Wet" Manifold Questions

Stephen Andersen SAndersen at advan-tek.com
Wed May 15 18:40:19 GMT 2002

I have done some recent calculations due to discussions on
another mesage board regarding this.  The addition of an
intercooler that is about 70-80% efficienct, which is
easily achievable, on an 8psi compressor outlet application,
with 2 psi pressure loss in the IC and piping (which is pretty large
for an 8psi application), still comes out ahead in power over
the non-intercooled setup.  Not hugely, but it does come out ahead.

That is with all else being equal.  The IC'd setup would also have
FAR less propensity to detonation.  The bottom line is that the
charge-air cooling (and the resulting densification of the air) is
still greater than the density loss due to the pressure drop.

Now, take advantage of the intercooler by bumping compressor
outlet pressure up to 10psi so that you still have 8 psi in
the manifold, and you are talking about a VERY significant
increase in horsepower (10+ %), while STILL maintaining LOWER
inlet air temperatures and less tendency to detonate...

Steve