[Diy_efi] : ask the experts #1

Tom Sharpe twsharpe at webmail1.mtco.com
Fri May 17 12:25:08 GMT 2002

Well spoken,  Might want to vent the return-less surge tank to the real
tank. A little pressure in both might be good. I recommend allowing the
fuel to heat (not too hot) - that should raise effeciency and vaporization
as long as the system will keep the mixture correct. Of course this does
not apply to racers - only if you are concerned w/ mileage... Smokey U.
used to kave a twin turbo (inline) Fiero w/ 400 deg. inlet temps. great for
efficiency but hard on valves.

On Thu, 16 May 2002 23:20:07 -0400, Shannen Durphey <shannen at grolen.com>
wrote :

> Pluses and minuses, like everything.
>
> I) Surge tank design
>
> 	A.  With return line
> 		1 simple control of fuel level in tank
> 		2 removes fuel heated by engine and replaces with cooler
fuel from tank
> 		3 works with pumps that produce very little pressure
> 		4 purges vapors to main fuel tank
> 		5 design and mounting of tank must be very considerate of
outside forces.
> 		6 hot soak conditions can fill surge tank and return line
with vapor

> 	B.  Without return line
> 		1 float controls fuel level
> 		2 vapors can be trapped with pressure release valve and
recovered by vapor
> cannister
> 		3 temperature sensitive: fuel recicrulated by efi system is
hot!
> 		4 can be less sensitive to cornering, acceleration rates.
> 			a) only way for fuel to get "out" is through the
high pressure pump.
> 		5 can help prevent vapor formation in LP line and surge tank
>
> I am using a return-less reservoir in one of my retrofits.  It saved
considerably on
> adding additional fuel lines and modifying the sending unit in tank.  I
have not had
> trouble with fuel heating to the point of vapor lock in the high pressure
side, but
> each application will require thought to placement of the reservoir.
Mounting the