[Diy_efi] fuel injection for an airplane engine

Bobby Riggs bobbyriggs at yahoo.com
Tue May 28 16:14:33 GMT 2002

> with a Rinker redrive. Initial plans were to
>
> Wow, can't get over the group interest in this
> topic!  You bet I could use help<G>
> There must be a bunch of guys interested in
> applying DIY-EFI conversions to aircooled
> motors in aviation, car and bike applications.
> The type of vehicle is not as important as
> sharing the information.
>ave most of the parts.

> I have 2 ECUs from a 1990 Geo Storm.  I
> understand this ECU or variations were used in
> other 3, 4, 6 and 8 cylinder applications.  My
> expertise level is strictly mechanical so be
> patient with my low level of electronics
> understanding.

Cool this has been used many times by certain
people..

> The ECU box is coded  86501 J100699333*    How
> can the code mask be retrieved?

What is the Service No. ? should start 122

> Big chip on motherboard  -  u7  185  16141356
> KQEXB8942C
> Other chips:   34492 Delco        16045980

This is a quad power chip.. You are looking for
the Memcal. Its Big with a blue cover.  Its under
that smaller, 2 screw, removable cover and has a
socket with the clips that pop it out. Remove the
blue plastic cover.  You will locate the actual
EPROM.  It has a silver sticker on it that should
say Delco with like AKDM or AHTT or something
like that.

There was a tremendous amount of
> interest in the system since for $100 one got a
> conversion manual including reprogramming of
> your GEO ECU for specific applications.
> The SWAG  EFIs were reliable and effective if
> properly installed.  From what I understand,
> Steve's crash was caused by a failure of his
> own design chain driven reduction drive.  The
> prop sheared off shortly after takeoff, and his
> VariEze homebuilt crashed in quite rough
> terrain.
> Regards, Erik Meisterman
> ----------------

VERY interesting!!  I am kinda hesitent on giving
you a chip to try in your own plane for OBVIOUS
reasons...  In fact, until I actually get some
time on my engine I think it would be unfair to
make prejugements on how this system would
preform in avaition.  On a upnote, by using a MAP
sensor it is capable of sensing pressure changes
but I have even heard of cars needing to be
Turned off (ack not in the air!) while climbing
to high elevations due to running crappy.  I
should've though of that ealier...  I really
would stick to a SDS for your plane, I have read
that one was submurced in a river from an
overturn boat and still survived.  Once it was
dried out of course.  The 727 GM model is an
Underhood weatherproof version however, J/K!

  I would keep the GM's in cars for now.. sorry.
-Bobby