[Diy_efi] Liquid Phase Propane Injectors

William Shurvinton shurvinton at orange.net
Tue May 28 19:32:09 GMT 2002

Hi Phil,

Hmmm, don't need 100. Need about 200HP-250HP worth. This could be a
problem......

The application is a rotary engined Lotus 7 clone, Despite all the things
said against Dr. Wankels creation I am lucky enough for it to be emissions
exempt and,  once you have pulled all the emissions gumph and the cast iron
exhaust off, it becomes a very compact and fairly light power plant. But it
still has some problems.  Not least being a funny combustion chamber that
appears to be calling out for a fuel with very fast burn characterists but
high resistance to pre-ignition.....LPG

The 1080° otto cycle of the rotary gives lots of injection time, even at
high RPM. If you either use the trailing plug holes or pop a plug in a la
peri port you can keep the fuel feed on the cool side of the engine.

At the moment I am in information gathering mode, especially wrt what the
injectors do, how to drive them etc but I would love to give it a go,
especially if my dark side forces me to pop a turbo block in  (NB car weighs
1200lb, so doesn't need much HP to be silly fast)

Best of all is LPG is around 1/3 the price of unleaded (95RON over here)
although I don't do enough miles to recoup costs in fuel savings. Its one of
those 'because it hasn't been done' things.

Bill

P.S. Carbon tanks. They sound expensive!