[Diy_efi] Knock Detection using GM ESC Module

Ken Richardson krichar at ns.sympatico.ca
Wed May 29 21:21:01 GMT 2002

Melted tops and ring lands broke on one piston. It's clearly detonation. We
are limited to what we can do to the engine by our rules. We run a GM HEI
distributor with MSD coil, 9.2:1 compression, fairly stock cam. Premium fuel
only.

The engine ran A1 on the dyno for 20 to 30 pulls, everything looked fine. We
ran 1 heat race and a practice session before the race with no problems. The
plugs looked fine after the dyno pulls and heat race/practice. It almost
seems the carb picked up some dirt during the race, although we didn't find
anything. Regardless, a knock detection device "might" have saved us, that's
why we put one on the engine. Now I'm wondering how much we should trust it.

Ken