[Diy_efi] WB free air calibration

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Thu May 30 11:07:05 GMT 2002

After seeing some numbers this past weekend, I know that Gar's "knock
'em down and run 'em over twice" marketing plan needs to be revised if
he hopes to come anywhere near the number of DIY-WB's sold.  People
are hooked on the DIY sensor.

Just some thoughts here.  It would be a bad idea at this point for
anyone to apply for financing for a business selling and manufacturing
their own wb o2 meters.  It's gonna hurt every time another one of
these homebrew babies gets sold.  I guess if I had were selling meters
at twice the cost and less than half the volume of the DIY unit, I'd
have to do something to make sure mine looked better to the general
public.  I'm not so sure that putting the chief engineer in charge of
namecalling is the best way to do things.  Then again, I'm not trying
to sell my meter over someone else's.

But if the predictions of doom and gloom are at all correct, it won't
be very long before people start showing up on the list and
complaining of engine failures.  An incorrect AFR on a seriously
abused car doesn't take long to show itself.  I've seen plug
electrodes burn off in seconds when nitrous is involved.

The diy meter has been in the general public for over six months now,
yes?
Shannen