[Diy_efi] Liquid Phase Propane Injectors

Mazda Ebrahimi ebrahimi at speakeasy.net
Fri May 31 23:55:36 GMT 2002

Hey all,
Just wanted to chime in on the fuel quality issue.

Another problem with varrying fuel quality is related to thermo
properties of the various compounds sold as 'propane'.

It's been a long time since I cracked a thermo book, but from what I
recall, based on their individual PV diagrams, each component (propane,
butane, etc...) will achieve equilibrium at a certain volume given
pressure and temprature.  That means that certain compounds will occupy
the vapor space in higher relative concentrations than the liquid space.

As you keep refilling each time, you will use less of the compounds that
have higher vapor concentration.  So over time, the composition of the
fuel in the tank is actually different than what you're putting in
(unless you use up almost all the fuel regularly).  This could be
another explanation for varrying fuel composition.

I don't pretend to be up on my thermodynamics.  Perhaps someone more
qualified could verify or discount the logic here...

-Mazda