[Diy_efi] LPG injection

Greg Hermann bearbvd at mindspring.com
Thu Nov 21 18:07:08 GMT 2002

At 9:58 PM 11/17/02, sy2th wrote:

Several urban legends to de-bunk here--

First-- "SUBLIME" means a phase change from SOLID directly to GASEOUS
state. NOTHING to do with liquid state !! As when snow evaporates directly
into the air or dry ice (frozen CO2) changes directly to a gasseous state
without becoming a liquid first.

Second-- While it's entirely possible that injecting liquid propane could
cause THROTTLE icing under properly conducive atmospheric conditions (high
humidity), the injectors would NOT be at all likely to ice.
The source of the water ought to be obvious from the "high humidity" part
of the above !

Third-- Conventional propane carburetor systems absolutely do NOT draw gas
off of the top of the tank !! They use a dip tube and draw LIQUID off of
the bottom of the tank. The liquid then goes through the "vaporizer"--which
uses warm engine coolant to vaporize the liquid before it goes to the
carburetor. The tank would turn into an ice ball (again, from atmospheric
humidity) if one even TRIED to draw the quantity of gas off of it that even
a small engine uses under load !! ) (Not to mention that you simply would
NOT get ENOUGH gas out of the tank to let the engine run !!

Greg