[Diy_efi] WB-O2 with gasoline, nitrous and methanol...

Garfield Willis garwillis at msn.com
Wed Oct 9 20:12:32 GMT 2002

On Tue, 8 Oct 2002 17:58:12 -0400 (EDT), <daveb at codyscafe.com> wrote:

>-So then am I correct in assuming its gonna be HELL to calibrate a WB-O2=
=20
>for a engine that is receiving a mixture of gasoline, methanol and =
nitrous?

Ah yes, one man's hell another man's heaven. I all sounds TOO involved,
dudnit? But it's not quite so bad.

All the higher end AFR sensing vendors provide a calibration service,
where EACH individual 'sensitive' exhaust gas component is measured
*independently* for your sensor: CO, H2, HxCy, and of course O2. You
punch these into your instrument from the calibration sheet (or plug in
a chip storing the entire cal curve for each, in our case), you get from
the vendor (we only charge $75 to our clients for this cal service, ECM
charges around $200+ IIRC). Then, when you want to use the instrument to
measure AFR on some arbitrary fuel+oxygenates+diluents, you just enter
those ratios (H:C, O:C, N:C) of your fuel/oxygenate/diluent mix (takes
just a small bit of arithmetic to figure your particular overall ratios,
if you have a mongrel conglomerate of alcohols, petrol, other
hydrocarbons, oxygenates, diluents, mouse milk :), and then WITH both
the individual sensitivities calibrated, AND the instrument knowing the
ratios of elemental components going in (your fuel mix), the proper AFR
corrections can be done inside the instrument without any further
doodling on your part. Only our higher end Pro & SuperPro models allow
this element ratio input, because they're the only ones that have
keypads for inputing options/params. Models of the ECM product line that
provide the same feature are their AFRrecorder 1200 & up models
(starting at $4,500US for a single channel, BTW. The Bosch equipment to
support this is around $10KUS, and is also just single-channel. :)

HTH,
Gar
Gar Willis
Principal Engineer