[Diy_efi] What is stoichometric....really?

Derek derek_obanion at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 10 20:55:37 GMT 2002

I know it's 14.7:1 ratio for gasoline. But how would you define it?

Here's something I read:

"Stoich is the point where all of the fuel has burned with all of the available
oxygen."

This true?

If so, why do I see this statement:

"12.5 is the ratio for maximum power."

If all of the oxygen is gone at a 14.7:1 ratio, where do you get more power from
running 12.5:1?

Is the ONLY purpose of the extra 15-20% gasoline to cool the combustion chamber
temperatures (knock preventative), or does it serve some other use? If it's just
there to cool, I'd think I could (and should) run 14.7 under boost since I run a
lot of methanol injection (almost equal in volume flow to the gasoline), which
cools 15-20x more than the extra 15-20% gasoline would.