[Diy_efi] Throttle body sizing

William Shurvinton shurvinton at orange.net
Tue Oct 15 16:20:51 GMT 2002

There isn't a simple answer to this one, as you have to treat the throttle
as part of a tuned system in NA systems ( and turbos off boost). As you
enlarge the throttle (NA) you will change the resonant frequency of the
inlet, perhaps for better, usually for worse. Once you get too big you will
run into what is generally referred to as 'tip in' and your drivability will
start to suffer. Here in UK we generally wuss out long before this and go IR
with weber style TBs.

For the boosted app I would suspect that the drivability gets even worse.

Bigger is not always better with throttles. Unless you really want peak
power at 8500RPM.

Bill