[Diy_efi] Basic exhaust KE question

Heath, Tom theath at plasticart.com
Wed Oct 16 01:10:40 GMT 2002

I like it when you talk like that, make that silly bird do some real work.

Here is a site I enjoyed reading, apparently written by a Chrysler Employee.
http://www.thedodgegarage.com/turbo_fun.html

"It is a common misconception that the exhaust turbine half of a turbo is
driven purely by the kinetic energy of the exhaust smacking into it.."

"At this point, (before the turbo) we have very high pressure and very high
heat, so our gas has a very high energy level.  As it passes through the
diffuser and into the turbine housing, it moves from a small space into a
large one. Accordingly, it expands, cools, slows down, and dumps all that
energy - into the turbine.."

The moral of this story is:
"Pressure is heat, heat is pressure."

Enjoy, Thom